.

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Cultural safety in nursing Essay

The meaning of the term culture in nursing has changed importantly in recent decades. Culture may be seen as the learned, shargond out value and beliefs of a particular group (Spence, 2001). Cultural verbal expression assumes legion(predicate) forms, including language, traditions, stress, pain, anger, sorrow, jottinguality, decision making and even world philosophy (Catalano, 2006).Cultural safety is a process that involves the individual knowing of their self and their own culture, becoming cognizant of, respectful of, and sensitive to different cultures, asking who is at risk, preventing unsafe situations, and creating a culturally safe environment (Wood and Schwass, 1993).During my first night shift at clinical placement, I provided finagle for Anna (pseudonym), an 85- year old Maori lady, who was admitted to the ward pursual suicide attempt, which was link to the second anniversary of her husbands death. She had a 20 year history of depression. On admission Anna was agit ated and fearful, stating that she could not do almost anything that was requested of her. She had some disorganized ideas. For example, she thought she would be scalded by meals, or accidentally fall out of a window.We had sound finished our handover when Anna rang the bell. I went to her room and found her sitting on the chair. safe evening Anna, I said. My name is Parisa. I am your nurse this night. Anna looked worried and replied I am not current if I set out enough c surveyhes. From the handover briefing I had mute that she was worrying to the highest degree not having enough clothes. So I opened the door of the pressing and reassured her that she had plenty of clothes. Then I told her she needed to come hold to her bed and exact a rest. I helped her get back into the bed. xx minutes later, while I was doing the ward check, I heard mortal crying. The sound of crying came from Annas room. I went to her room. It was midnight. Anna was lying alone fearful, sad, and depres sed. left(p) isolated, she wanted to call a nurse for help but she didnt know how to explain what she needed. Anna, what happened? I asked. Are you crying? She didnt reply. In this situation, it came into my mind that good curative communication through the use of breath was very appropriate to calm her. I held her hand, looked into her look, and asked her if she wanted to tell me what she was thought process at the time. She replied I step I am a surly mortal, gaget you see that? I said, A horrible person??, what I see is a frightened person. You are scared, arent you?She replied, I am so scared of losing eitherthing and everyone I love. Nurse, I am not a good person, I tried to commit suicide. I took an o.d. of my pills, and I made my family worry about me. She started to cry again. I harked to Anna and permit her speak out all her feelings. I said, I understand you feel it was the wrong thing to do She replied Do you think God testament forgive me? I need to cr y, I need to crave. With my eyes full of tears I asked her, Would you like it if we prayed together? She looked at me brotherly and said Yes, I would like to pray. We held hands, and both of us started to pray in our own languagesLearning and then not acting on what you learn is like ploughing and then never planting (Unknown). When I was in unit 4, we had a Maori Health paper where I gained lot of knowledge about the Maori view of health. This incident with Anna was an occasion in which I put the knowledge I had learned at university into utilise.According to Durie (1998) the tralatitious Maori attitude toward health is one of holism. Health from a Maori linear perspective has al counsellings acknowledged the unity of spiritual, emotional, physical, and family aspects. The spiritual perspective is the most necessary perspective for Maori wellbeing. It is defined as attachment to religious values, but does not eat the same meaning as religious beliefs. When spiritual needs ar e met, an individual can function with a meaningful identity and purpose and can relate to reality with hope (Durie, 1998).Nursing is a landing field that professes to address the human person in a holistic manner, focusing on all dimensions of the person body, mind and spirit (Lemmer, 2005). Care of the spirit is a professional nursing responsibility and an intrinsic part of holistic nursing. The holistic nursing perspective requires nurses to view each person as a biopsychosocial being with a spiritual core. Thus, nurses must be sure to address the spirit along with the other dimensions to provide holistic care (Calatona, 2006, p.403).In my situation, I had to support Annas desire to pray and application meaningful rituals. To confirm my assumptions about an underlying cultural issue, I asked Anna in a very respectful way about her cultural beliefs. I realized that Annas religious beliefs could be a vital way in which she expresses her spirituality. I asked her if she woul d like the service of a Maori Chaplain, and she accepted. Therefore, during the morning handover I informed Annas primary nurse that Anna wish to be referred to the Maori Chaplain Service. Fourie, Mcdonald, Connor and bartlett (2005) clearly state that handover is a critical time where staff appoint information from which to base important decisions about patient care and management, especially clients who appear unsettled and /or those who require extra intervention. Spiritual interventions have been demonstrated to be significant in the clients convalescence from disorder. The dimensions of religious ceremony, prayer and the client, relationship with God have been shown to have decreed associations with mental health (Catalano, 2006).Reflecting on this draw I found that my alterative communication techniques of presence, and expeditious listening, were very useful. The affective aspects of nursing are related to emotional interchange between nurse and patient which includes presentation, active listening, therapeutic communication and discussion of spiritual issues (Wichowski, Kubsch, Ladwig & Torres, 2003, p.1122). I used touch to help comfort her distress. Touch is a therapeutic tool which can provide sensory stimulation, induce relaxation, physical and emotional comfort, orient pot to reality, improve level of awareness, convey warmth, respect, sensitivity and a powerful expression of a trusting relationship (Crisp & Taylor, 2003).I listened attentively to every single word that Anna said to show that I have a genuine interest in knowing more about her beliefs. listening attentively and reflectively can help the client feel valued, understood and supported (Mohr, 2003). I have found out that through my active listening to her story, I displayed a caring attitude, and she is already participating in a culturally competent care. A nurse who is ready to listen to his/her patients, respects their cultural and social backgrounds and does not make any uninspired assumptions delivers a culturally safe practice (Bunker, 2001).My experience of nursing Anna, and breeding how her cultural beliefs affected her mood helped me achieve and develop the skills to be culturally competent in my nursing practice. Culturally competent care involves the consolidation of knowledge, attitude and skills to provide culturally appropriate health care (Mohr, 2003). As I want to be a mental health nurse, my practice should be culturally appropriate through the sensitive and supportive appointment of cultural issues (Australia & New Zealand College of Mental health nursing, 1995). I also learned that one of the skills that a mental health nurse should throw is the ability to integrate cultural perspectives within the delivery of appropriate interventions. This experience also gave me the opportunity to demonstrate my skill in communicating Annas problem to the primary nurse effectively. It also enhanced my critical mentation skills f or I was able to find the link between her beliefs and her illness, and that led to grooming of a culturally competent care.

No comments:

Post a Comment